Re: “Can the state withstand a full-blown Bitcoin offensive?”

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 15:25:57 PST 2021

On 1/25/21, Punk-BatSoup-Stasi 2.0 <punks at tfwno.gf> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 16:41:33 -0500
> Karl <gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> the state tried hard to fight bitcoin.  Some time ago.
>

> 	that is completely false. If anything the state encourages the use of
> bitcoin given the fact that bitcoin is a fucking privacy nightmare (for
> users of course)

well, although 1/3rd or so of the countries at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_bitcoin_by_country_or_territory
describe cryptocurrency as illegal in some way, and the fact that the
privacy guarantees around cryptocurrency are not clear could be seen
as another attack on it, i have two things to say:

you know what?  you're right.  bitcoin is waste of time and a
dangerous secret weapon.  I wonder what people do to preserve exotic
data without it.  i bet there are a lot of ways.

but also you know what?  i really don't care about privacy.  i need
cryptographic exchange to _reveal_ the _horrific_atrocities_ our
leaders are stimulating.  we have cash for privacy.

but if you're not aware, the way to be private online is to not
associate things with yourself.  jacob appelbaum talked about this a
lot.

how are you doing punk

>> Cryptocurrency could be a good lesson on the importance of taking
>> things carefully and methodically, and working with your enemies,
>> during emergencies.
>
> 	you should kill your enemies, not work with them.

funny whenever i do that i get more, notably among their immediate
family.  i don't like having enemies, do you?

>> This evidenced by the price rising more than wall
>> street can believe exists, on a regular basis.

sounds like you need a link here.

Here's a news article.  It says "Bitcoin drops 13%"
https://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-suddenly-drops-13-as-altcoins-continue-to-rise

Here's another article, also on Bitcoin.  It says "Dec 2020, giving it
a year-to-date increase of 224%"
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/forex/121815/bitcoins-price-history.asp#:~:text=Bitcoin's%20price%20reached%20a%20peak,500%2C000%25%20on%20the%20Bitstamp%20exchange.

Which of those two factoids are you used to hearing?

Meanwhile, go to a bank and get an interest rate that is less than 1%
annual return, here in the USA.  Last year Bitcoin had over one
hundred times the return of a normal investment account.

> 	I think you should stop with the completely baseless 'techn-optimism'
> unless your aim is of course to spread misinformation.

I'm trying to stimulate an apocalypse where all the worst stuff happens ever =(

I need to talk with somebody who doesn't like technology _or_
conflict, but I like you.