[broadcast] Please collect proof and logs that our communications are altered in transit, so that hackers will resolve the situation

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 12:01:05 PST 2021

hey coderman,

On 1/8/21, coderman <coderman at protonmail.com> wrote:

> ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
> On Thursday, January 7, 2021 11:50 AM, Karl <gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:

Our communications are being intercepted and altered. The clearest
evidence is that nobody is using PGP, on the e-mails I receive. We
need to discuss that continuously so that people do something about
it.

> there is a study, "Why Johnny Can't Encrypt" -
> https://www.usenix.org/legacy/events/sec99/full_papers/whitten/whitten_html/index.html
>
> this outlines a number of usability failures in email encryption using
> PGP/GPG tools.

it seems to me the reason johnny can't encrypt is not because the pgp
protocol has a problem strongly related to that, but rather because
the devs working on encryption software are struggling to do so
effectively.  any thoughts?

it's notable that pgp encourages end-to-end encryption and protonmail
does not, no?

> sure, things are a little better now. but core deficiencies remain. for this
> reason, i have avoided email encryption for years now, preferring end-to-end
> encrypted messaging systems instead.

did you make a signed post when you stopped using PGP, so that people
would know you hadn't been coerced or manipulated to do so, or
replaced by an impostor or a gpt-in-the-middle?

> these have better idioms around privacy, and are more intuitive for less
> technical users.

true

> if you used a protonmail account, we would have an additional layer of
> authentication and privacy between us, however :)

(it's really hard for me to stay on protonmail, with my amnesia and
budgeting issues combined with their deletion of inactive accounts ...
isn't protonmail vulnerable to everything hushmail was?  i've now
registered gmkarl at protonmail.com but i'm hesitant to use it because i
don't want to lose my mail history when my account expires ... i'll
think on that.  must be a solution.)