Assange Decision

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 6 19:50:13 PST 2021

Good decision but bad reasoning: The laws he was charged with violating didn't claim "extraterritorial jurisdiction".

The limitations period (statute of limitations) for whatever crime Assange was charged with should have 'run out' 5 years later.
Lawyers will respond, I suppose, that Assange is a "fugitive", as he is outside the U.S. I respond: Merely his being outside the U.S. doesn't make him a fugitive. And if it is thought that he could be charged based on what he did while he was in U.K., then that assumes that Assange was still "within U.S. jurisdiction", and so Assange cannot have been a "fugitive".                   Jim Bell