[spam] [personal] information on the Unihertz Titan, a mobile phone

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 14:34:51 PST 2021

On 12/28/21, k <gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Point of sale tracks the SIM, but unfortunately a SIM
>>> is probably still not generateable onto blank cards?
>>
>> If you mean generating a new sim from nothing, sounds cool, not
>> something I'm experienced with personally.  I think of the data on the
>> sim as the "login" information for the cell provider, so that might
>> mean either being a cell provider or stealing service.
>
> I'm thinking if you figured out the insides of a sim card you could
> probably social engineer some support reps to get the needed data for
> your account to generate your own sim.  Not sure how you'd pay for the
> account.
>
> I bet in some area they have community sim cards.

SIM cloning, while useful, is duplicating, not creating a new unique SIM,
and problems with simultaneous use arise.
And community use implies some non-privacy that
users may or may not wish.

Millions of SIM's are encoded to providers, thus not unique
or relevant here.

SIM's serial (key) are assigned (provisioned, paired to) a
msisdn (phone number) upon registering (signup, account creation,
paying) by sending the SIM serial (key) to provider to get the msisdn,
which is not the relevant process here.

Question is if the SIM serial key used in that process, can be
a randomly generated one (ie if the SIM serial keys aren't registered
by and kept in the providers mobile pre-provisioning db) and then
burned to the SIM, and then used to register for the msisdn service.

Neither of which would work if providers and/or towers, have and share
lists of all the manufacturer IMEI's and all the providers SIM keys,
as part of manufacturing and provisioning chains,
and then block all others they happen to see on the air (random gen'd ones).

Providers can and do share and shutdown stolen IMEI's,
cloned numbers, etc. And towers can still do whatever they want.

But that's not a question donors to communities
journos victims homeless etc might have.
Same as might want to donate a fresh IMEI number to others,
they might want to donate a fresh SIM key as well.
Recipients of such donors gifts might then use the normal online
(or cell based) SIM activation/signup process to get and turn on
their own legit new [prepaid] phone service, then keep
applying the usual monthly topup cards.
Prepaid store bought SIMs typically include a small
initial number of minutes or month inside the SIM packet,
whereas a freshly generated SIM key may or may not.

People would have to investigate how that all works.