Ars Technica: Intel apologizes for banning use of components from Xinjiang

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 26 00:26:43 PST 2021

Ars Technica: Intel apologizes for banning use of components from Xinjiang.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/12/intel-apologizes-for-banning-use-of-components-from-xinjiang/?comments=1

Intel has apologized for a ban on using components from Xinjiang in response to attacks from Chinese nationalist media over the policy, becoming the latest multinational to become embroiled in China’s battle with the US over human rights issues.

The episode quickly became one of the most talked-about topics online in China with netizens on Twitter-like Weibo calling for the government to hit Intel with fines and other punishments.

The controversy erupted after Intel sent a year-end letter to suppliers noting that components made in the north-western Chinese region of Xinjiang should not be used in its chips. The message attracted the attention of nationalist media outlet Guancha.

In a Chinese language social media post, Intel said it wanted to “clarify” that the ban was only for compliance with US law and not its “own intention or position.”

“We apologize for the trouble caused to our respected Chinese customers, partners and the public,” Intel added