RTL-SDR.com Two Antenna Reviews and New SDR++ Decoder 12/23/2021

Victim of Undiscussed Horrifically Abusive Brainwashing gmkarl at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 23:09:38 PST 2021

RTL-SDR (RTL2832U) and software defined radio news and projects. Also
featuring Airspy, HackRF, FCD, SDRplay and more.

-

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/techminds-testing-the-ga-450-portable-hf-active-loop-antenna/

December 23, 2021
TechMinds: Testing the GA-450 Portable HF Active Loop Antenna

Over on the Techminds YouTube channel, Matt has uploaded his latest
video which is a review of the GA-450 portable HF active loop antenna.
The antenna costs between US$60-$80 + shipping and is available on
Chinese market sites like Aliexpress [1] and Banggood [2]. It's
advertised as covering 2.3 - 30 MHz, and uses a very portable and
sturdy 20cm stainless steel loop. The active base amplifier is powered
via a USB-C connector, and it even has a built in lithium battery for
portable field use.

In his review Matt shows the antenna in action, noting that it's
performance is quite a lot better than expected for it's small size,
but it can't compare to his large half-wave end fed antenna. He notes
that it appears to work best from 7 - 21 MHz, but not so well below 7
MHz. Overall he recommends it if you're looking for a small sized loop
antenna.

1: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002748091899.html
2: https://www.banggood.com/GA-450-GA450-Loop-Antenna-SDR-Short-Medium-Wave-Radio-Antenna-SW-2_30-30MHz-MW-522-1710KHz-p-1893431.html
3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKSY0kr43ks

GA-450 Portable Active Small Loop HF Antenna

-

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/nils-reviews-our-rtl-sdr-blog-l-band-active-patch-antenna/

December 23, 2021
Nils Reviews our RTL-SDR Blog L-Band Active Patch Antenna

Over on his blog Nils Schiffhauer (DK8OK) has recently uploaded a
review[1] of our RTL-SDR Blog Active L-Band Patch Antenna. This is a
satellite patch antenna designed for experimenters who want to receive
Inmarsat, Iridium, GPS and other GNSS signals. It covers 1525 - 1660
MHz. (Please note it does not cover GOES or other L-band weather
satellites as these are much weaker signals that require a dish). The
antenna comes as a set with mounting hardware and extension cable and
can be purchased on our store[2] for $49.95 including free worldwide
shipping to most countries.

In his review Nils tests the patch antenna with his wideband BladeRF
software defined radio showing a wide 60 MHz of bandwidth being
received. He then goes on to show it being used to receive AERO, via
the JAERO decoder, and STD-C via the Tekmanoid decoder.

We want to take this opportunity to pre-announce that due to rising
shipping costs the price of this antenna set will be going up by $10
in early 2022. Before the price raise we will put out another post,
but if you are interested in one we'd recommend picking one up soon.

Nils tests the water resistance[3] of the antenna.

1: https://dk8ok.org/2021/12/16/rtl-sdr-active-patch-antenna/
2: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/
3: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/patch_antenna_1.jpg

-

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/a-rs41-and-dfm09-radiosonde-decoder-plugin-for-sdr/

December 23, 2021
A RS41 and DFM09 Radiosonde Decoder Plugin for SDR++

A new decoder[1] for RS41 and DFM09 radiosondes has been released as a
plugin for SDR++ by dbDexter.  A radiosonde is a sensor package with
RF transmitter that is attached to a weather balloon. Meteorological
agencies around the world typically launch two per day in order to
gather weather forecast data. With an RTL-SDR, appropriate antenna and
a decoder it is possible to receive this data, and plot the GPS
location on a map.

Installing a plugin for SDR++ requires adding the build options to the
SDR++ source, and building SDR++, so it could be a little difficult
for Windows, but relatively simple build instructions for Linux are
provided in the Readme.

A[2] Radiosonde Decoder for SDR++

Over on Twitter FelixTRG (@OK9UWU) has tested the plugin out and has
found it to work well. [3]