Morning Spam

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 05:44:30 PST 2021

Repeat of commentary from flunky:

In the USA, we have a situation with technology where security is, as a
norm, being protected less and less.

This isn't the case everywhere, but it is the case in general.

I, personally, have no idea why it is the case.  I am not very involved.

There are many people, who in the past gathered on this mailing list, as
well as other places, who knew a _lot_ about having real technological
security.

People who acted on that tended to "disappear" in some way.  They'd halt
their projects and not explain why.

There is a lot of history of this, although that history is likely now
being covered up by the strands of time or whatever reason it happened.

Meanwhile, in the past decade or two, almost all of our infrastructure has
become digital.

Let's repeat that:
- Our technological security has been getting worse and worse.
- Our industries, governments, and private lives have been relying on
technology more and more.

"Hackers" were branded early as criminals.  The word was used to mean
expert.  Now, I don't know what it means, but I use it.

I imagine one of the norms of this list as exploring things in-depth, to
understand them.  This is a basic tenet of hacking.  This works well when
you are free to do it and act on it.