What is Real? was Re: Review Finds No Answers to Mystery of Havana Syndrome

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 15:26:37 PST 2021

>> > Real Artist in this field have no repositories like GitHub, Gitlab etc.
>> > to my knowledge.
>> >
>> > University Professors in this field have sometimes free software
>> > on their webpage or upon request.
>>
>> This is crazy what you say, is the year 1999?  How did this happen?
>
> I can tell you only what I observed over the years.
>>
>> Github presently has over 73 million developers and 4 million
>> organizations, codeberg.org has 10k repositories, gitlab has over 100k
>> organizations.  Some of those developers must be 3d printing artists
>> sharing code.
>
> Yes, sure and those developers doing 3D printing or computer graphics
> in one form or another have also repositories there.

>> Are you saying people are leaving the maker philosophy of sharing
>> crafting resources because they aren't haven success as entrepreuners?
>
> No I am not saying this. The maker scene as I understood it in the
> 3D printing field are doing cool projects, no doubt, but they are to
> my knowledge not self-trained and talented artists who produce
> artwork, if you accept the term artwork for digital stuff.

That is not my experience.  I've rented space in a makerspace, and
there was a dense population of self-trained and talented artists
there.  Things one would never find elsewhere, each rented area
completely different from the last.  No procedural fractal-styled
objects though, nor working robots.  Maybe different in other areas.

>> Those things your friend built sound lots of fun.
>
> Indeed.
>
> Since you are a nice person I can give you a little tip, in case
> you are interested in. You can program and you know about
> computer graphics. If you would write an open source or
> commercial software (standalone app) which can either
> to 3D texture synthesis[1] or the creation of traditional [2]bas-reliefs,
> your life will probably change in a cool direction.
>
> [1] Texture Synthesis in 3D is an international Research field, where
> students or professors only release .pdf documents and some of
> them have patents ...

I found https://github.com/JorgeGtz/SolidTextureNets from
paperswithcode .  It's demo code containing a pretrained model from
2020, looks like they didn't remember to specify a license.

> 3D bas-reliefs are also, if you study this topic a very
> interesting market. I developed years ago a technique
> to do them, which gave excellent results, which commercial
> or open source software could never archive and only
> 3D Artist, capable of modeling 3D bas-relief had the same
> results. I had also a tutorial for that (for free) never made
> a dime with that and when I lost it (no back-up) I received
> internationally often requests how to do that. You can
> check the quality of them at my behance Gallery.
>
> https://behance.net/futagoza

What do you mean by 3D bas-relief?  I imagine a bas-relief as a
surface with indentations that appear like a picture.  Wouldn't this
be a pretty simple task to generate?