automatic media transcription with youtube was: Re: Mi6 Talk

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 03:18:40 PST 2021

> youtube-dlc --skip-download --write-auto-sub --all-subs
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDGV7LScLp0
> wget
> https://gist.githubusercontent.com/glasslion/b2fcad16bc8a9630dbd7a945ab5ebf5e/raw/931862d2909ac13c0067319923df054dc06be196/vtt2text.py

this appears to be a python2 script.  (my system uses python2 by
default still.)  so,

> for vttsub in *.vtt
> do
>     # convert each language to a transcription
>     python vtt2text.py "$vttsub" && rm "$vttsub"
     python2 vtt2text.py "$vttsub" && rm "$vttsub"
> done

I've forked vtt2text.py to resolve this issue and to handle multiple
files, so here's a better script:

youtube-dlc --skip-download --write-auto-sub --all-subs YOUTUBE_URL
wget https://gist.githubusercontent.com/xloem/f7ecb8668c14ef07718b4d3447ebe9a2/raw/575f2ebf9883d92478edf819ffc4909fb03bb497/vtt2text.py
-O vtt2text.py
python3 vtt2text.py *.vtt && rm *.vtt