The countries that trusted bugged Swiss encryption devices

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 03:39:08 PDT 2021

On Fri, Aug 13, 2021, 6:07 AM grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I heard people recently talking about using _multiple_ OTP's.
> > Not sure how that helps anything but it sounds nice and paranoid.
>
> That's probably describing "multiple encryption",
> cascade, or composition.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_encryption
>
> In the case of properly used OTP's with TRNG's,
> multiple doesn't help anything since the info theoretic security
> of that system has been proven.
>
> But for all other classes of algos such as the common
> asym/symm/hash, multiple can be used as a safety
> backup in case a sole use algo might be broken,
> but is no good if they all are fail...
> ie: md5 + sha1 != good
> or if use of all N of them was poor, thus = fail too.

I'm aware that xoring hashes reduces their security (more collisions, I
believe).  You want to concatenate them.

PS: Now for the more interesting thing in this note...

> Notice how GoldBug et al happened to sneak
> themselves onto that page too.

Similar to me saying "public input state" above.  A dangerous error but
doesn't appear malicious on anyone's part.

publicly investigate and debunk or clear their

I guess to take action on weird, sketchy public behaviors, one would need
to figure out how to influence or satisfy whatever is stimulating them.
Not sure how to do that.