Assange's Case

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 18:17:17 PDT 2021

 On Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 04:18:57 PM PDT, Punk-BatSoup-Stasi 2.0 <punks at tfwno.gf> wrote:

 On Wed, 11 Aug 2021 22:55:31 +0000 (UTC)
jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  On Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 10:52:50 AM PDT, Punk-BatSoup-Stasi 2.0 <punks at tfwno.gf> wrote:
>
>  On Wed, 11 Aug 2021 12:15:42 +0000 (UTC)
>
> professor rat <pro2rat at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
> >> Okay - Jim Bells hatred for the USG has reached the lunatic stage
>
> > bell is a right winger, just like you. His 'hatred' of the US govt very very selective.
>
> Then it's odd that I've managed to score 100/100 on the Nolan Chart ever since 1975, when I first realized that I'd always been a libertarian.

 >   You are clearly not a libertarian. Just go to the archives and read, for instance, your  repulsive defense of the borders of the US state.

  >  It starts here  https://lists.cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/2016-December/064282.html

I'm not in favor of GOVERNMENT borders.  I am very much in favor of PRIVATE borders.

    >From jdb at yahoo.com  Tue Dec 20 13:21:27 2016

  >  "This essay by Christopher Cantwell pretty much destroys the "libertarians must be in favor of open borders" idea.  https://christophercantwell.com/2015/09/28/open-borders-or-market-immigration/"
You are pointing to something that seems to no longer exist.   Yes, I vaguely recall it.

   > To make things even more funny look at who the 'libertarian philosopher' you invoked actually is

   > https://www.foxnews.com/us/who-is-christopher-cantwell-the-white-nationalist-arrested-after-charlottesville-rally

   > Now to state the obvious, libertarians support the extermination of the state, including of couse, the state's borders.

And I am no different.  Government borders, no.   Private borders, yes.

>> The problem, briefly stated, is "How do you defend a country based on anarchistic or libertarian principles, if they cannot tax themselves to put on a defense?".

 >   notice the absurd idea that such a thing as an anarchist 'country' can exist. If you were a libertarian you'd know that countries are a creation of the state.

As you should well understand, in the English language (and probably most other languages) words are used with multiple meanings.
country definition - Google Search

|  |
country definition - Google Search

I'd like to see the OED (Oxford English Dictionary) and its myriad definitions.
I use the term "country" to mean "a region of land (usually) populated by people".   Sure, the label "country" is somewhat ambiguous.    People DO use it, sometimes, to mean "a region of land, populated by people, run by a government."  And yes, I'd agree that the term "region" contains less of an assumption about the nature of the government associated with the land.
Notice that I didn't use the term "nation", which would have (at least) implied a government operating to control that region of land.
Also, notice, for example, that in 1973, David Friedman titled one of the chapters of his book, "The Machinery of Freedom" was "National Defense:  The Hard Problem".      Myself, I thought of this choice of words, "nation", as being a mistake.  But the term "national defense" has become somewhat generic.  Sure, he should have used the term "regional defense", I suppose.  I'm not going to criticize Friedman for using the 'wrong' word in 1973.   He had a valid point, and he made it.
            Jim Bell