Financial Times: Apple plans to scan US iPhones for child abuse imagery

Peter Fairbrother peter at tsto.co.uk
Fri Aug 6 18:00:02 PDT 2021

On 07/08/2021 01:06, Karl wrote:
>     Would make sharing harder, but
>

>     Peter Fairbrother
>

>     the point of moot is to give the kind of access to crypto protection
>     that an expert can create to every user.
>

> Hi Peter,
>
> I received your message disordered a little, are you able to rephrase
> what easy-to-use cryptographic technology you're referring to here?

moot (or m-o-o-t) was (in 2000) (is, in the
disassembled-bits-in-the-garage sense) a proposed bootable
based-on-OpenBSD OS CD with end-to-end real-time and stored messaging
and deniable storage apps under which the user would have to be really
dumb to expose content, even under the UK's gimme-the-keys-or-go-to-jail
laws.

At the time optical storage was bigger than it is now, but it could be
adapted to eg a USB key.

I later added an undetectable "tweet"ing function.

Didn't happen for various reasons, mostly because I am a lazy coder, but
its potential existence did have some effect on the UK crypto laws.

Peter Fairbrother

the laws:

0 It's all about who is in control

1 Someone else is after the stuff you have

2 Stuff you don't have can't be taken from you

3 Everywhere can be attacked

4 Complex systems provide more places to attack

5 Attack methods are many, varied, ever-changing and eternal

6 Only those you trust can betray you

7 Holes for good guys are holes for bad guys too

8 A system which is hard to use will be abused, misused and unused