Financial Times: Apple plans to scan US iPhones for child abuse imagery

Peter Fairbrother peter at tsto.co.uk
Fri Aug 6 16:44:15 PDT 2021

On 06/08/2021 07:45, jim bell wrote:
> Financial Times: Apple plans to scan US iPhones for child abuse imagery.
> https://www.ft.com/content/14440f81-d405-452f-97e2-a81458f5411f  <https://www.ft.com/content/14440f81-d405-452f-97e2-a81458f5411f>

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/aug/06/apple-plans-to-scan-us-iphones-for-child-sexual-abuse-images

"Alongside the neural Match technology, Apple plans to scan users’
encrypted messages as they are sent and received using iMessage."

I thought iMessages were supposed to be end-to-end encrypted. Obviously
not, if they were then it would be impossible to scan them that way.

Hmmm, looking further (or perhaps just thinking about it more, I have
drink taken :) , what is being talked about is Apple looking at photos
as they go in their cloud. Is there a button to encrypt cloud content?

Would make sharing harder, but

Peter Fairbrother

the point of moot is to give the kind of access to crypto protection
that an expert can create to every user.