Cryptocurrency: Costs of Fiat are Unsustainable Not Crypto, VZ Bitcoin Satellite, CloudFlare

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 00:01:39 PDT 2020

On 9/27/20, jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I occasionally mention my idea, from a few years ago, that the "work", as in
> "proof of work" for coins like Bitcoin, could be shifted to weather
> forecasting, from finding specific hashes.
> Not that I know how to implement that!!!  But my idea is, we will "always"
> need to forecast the weather, and the computations for this will continue to
> be huge, for the foreseeable future.  So, such computations are inherently
> valuable.

Sure, bitcoin being a race to find answer to a random
problem that then passes consensus confirmation, that's
valuable, and anyone can do that equally by dropping in
any fraction of hardware (differing power costs, centralized
ASIC favored deals and presale mining, cost/TH scaling,
etc, excepted).

Weather forecasting can be equally valuable work.
But can everyone have same random odds at success?
ie: What is the distribution of results from PhD roomful of
weather.gov weather.com google types vs Joe Random sticking
his finger in the air, and guessing correctly going to look like?
Will distributed armies of Joes match the former to keep
centralization away?
Then there are time delays between weather prediction
and weather event / proof, turning it into a bit of a futures
game and possible market.

There are some coins trying do "useful work" for
coinbase / mining rewards.
People will have to search them out and post them here.

Unlike gambling on solution to weather stream,
many of those coins rely on problematic inputs,
risks to centralization, such as solving work units
provided by GovCorp streams that can be disrupted,
predicted, insidered, gamed, etc.

You can always use mining rigs to heat your
place in the winter... 100% efficient return on
electricity input, minus a little bit of sound,
wind, light, and data entropy output :)

It's also some work to calculate hashrate,
BTU equivalents, efficiencies, amortization,
payback, etc amongst all the options for what
and how to mine. Then cryptos price changes
like stock market and forces a recalc.

For that matter, if you can predict weather,
you can predict stock market, ball games,
next assassinations, and the entire
USA 2020 nationwide election results :)

Then someone comes and takes your toy away,
beats your game, or all participants just end up
with the same tech in time.