Stephen F. Cohen, pre-eminent contemporary American scholar of Russia & USSR, friend of Gorbachev & advisor to Bush, dies at 81 - [PEACE]

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sat Sep 19 16:43:15 PDT 2020

Stephen F. Cohen is our pre-eminent Western scholar on Russia and the peace that all non-sociopaths seek, especially with our Russian brothers.

Our condolences and our gratitude for Cohen's life work and his tireless voice of reason and sanity in this age of the apparent collapse of the USA empire.

   Stephen F. Cohen, pre-eminent contemporary American scholar of Russia & USSR, friend of Gorbachev & advisor to Bush, dies at 81
   https://www.rt.com/usa/501133-stephen-cohen-russia-scholar-dies/

      Breaking with many American academics and political commentators, Cohen was highly critical of Washington’s approach to Russia following the collapse of the Soviet Union. He warned of the dangers of NATO expansion and argued that much of the economic devastation seen in Russia during the 1990s could be traced to bad-faith policies and advice from the United States.

      His principled, and patriotic stand, led to smears from members of the think tank racket and both liberal and neoconservative interventionists, keen to stoke tensions with Moscow. Cohen was labelled a Putin apologist. He responded by saying that he saw him as being "in the Russian tradition of leadership, getting Russia back on its feet."

      After the election of Donald Trump, Cohen found himself in the crosshairs of the mainstream media for challenging the now-debunked Russiagate narrative, which he said was being used to sabotage bilateral relations and trigger a “new Cold War” with Moscow.

      The author of numerous books and countless articles, Cohen was a frequent guest on RT, where he often used his air time to sound the alarm over the dangerous state of US-Russia relations, lamenting that the hostility was both unnecessary and potentially calamitous.

      Stephen Cohen on how impeachment battle is impacting US-Russia relations
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQK7M7_GMDc