200,000

Peter Fairbrother peter at tsto.co.uk
Thu Sep 17 04:45:36 PDT 2020

On 16/09/2020 21:59, jim bell wrote:
> Within the last couple of weeks, I saw a news item that  vitamin D-3
> helps keep COVID-19 patients out of the hospital.
>
> https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/88456
>
> However, there is such a thing as "too much" Vitamin-D.

It's more like a lack of vitamin D makes you more likely to die from
COVID, and over 30% of US citizens lack vitamin D.

Possible 18% reduction in mortality if everyone took a thousand IU daily
- but after that increasing the dose does not further improve protection
against COVID.

There is a trend - possibly a fad - to take 5,000 IU daily or more, but
that isn't necessary for COVID. I do take 5,000 IU/d, but I take that
much for specific circulatory reasons, not for general health or COVID
protection. For most people 5,000 IU may be too much, and it is more
than the IOM Tolerable Upper Intake Level of 4,000 IU/d.

But if you don't already take vitamin D, start now. 1,000 IU once a day.
Very cheap, buck a month, could save your life.

Also protects against heart disease. :)

> Also, search 'covid ivermectin'

Doesn't seem to work, or at least not very well. Promoted by many of the
same people who promoted chloroquine, incidentally.

>   and 'covid famotidine'.

That one seems to work a bit, but I don't know how well.

But then there is dexamethasone/hydrocortisone, with a 30%+ reduction in
mortality.

Remdesivir, probably not. But beta-interferon and plasma look promising.

Treatment has improved and is still improving since my estimate in
February of 4 million US deaths - and the virus may have become a little
less lethal.

Now I'd think it is trending to a little over 2 million US dead if no
vaccine is invented.

But I thought I'd hold a moment of silence for the 200,000 already dead
in the US, and the million dead globally.

Peter Fairbrother