PQC: IBM Roadmaps towards 56 Logical Qubits in 3 Years

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 12:44:45 PDT 2020

https://techcrunch.com/2020/09/15/ibm-publishes-its-quantum-roadmap-says-it-will-have-a-1000-qubit-machine-in-2023/

 IBM today, for the first time, published its road map for the future
of its quantum computing hardware. There is a lot to digest here, but
the most important news in the short term is that the company believes
it is on its way to building a quantum processor with more than 1,000
qubits -- and somewhere between 10 and 50 logical qubits -- by the end
of 2023. From a report: Currently, the company's quantum processors
top out at 65 qubits. It plans to launch a 127-qubit processor next
year and a 433-qubit machine in 2022. To get to this point, IBM is
also building a completely new dilution refrigerator to house these
larger chips, as well as the technology to connect multiple of these
units to build a system akin to today's multi-core architectures in
classical chips. IBM's Dario Gil tells me that the company made a
deliberate choice in announcing this road map and he likened it to the
birth of the semiconductor industry.

"If you look at the difference of what it takes to build an industry
as opposed to doing a project or doing scientific experiments and
moving a field forward, we have had a philosophy that what we needed
to do is to build a team that did three things well, in terms of
cultures that have to come together. And that was a culture of
science, a culture of the road map, and a culture of agile," Gil said.
He argues that to reach the ultimate goal of the quantum industry,
that is, to build a large-scale, fault-tolerant quantum computer, the
company could've taken two different paths. The first would be more
like the Apollo program, where everybody comes together, works on a
problem for a decade and then all the different pieces come together
for this one breakthrough moment.