Anonymity Networks and Developer Determination

coderman coderman at protonmail.com
Sat Sep 5 15:36:43 PDT 2020

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Saturday, September 5, 2020 5:07 PM, Karl <gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:

> This email is shared from a place of forthrightness (and hope).
>
> https://github.com/ipfs/notes/issues/37
>
> Just to add, I suspect the reason that the state of public anonymity tools is not stronger is that the existing international powerholders, whose power could be reduced by widespread accessible anonymity, take diverse action to slow the release and hinder the effective use of the research.

... see also:
"""
Dear [@seanlynch](https://github.com/seanlynch) you are belligerent. I am in fact not saying that Tor or I2p aren't worth using. Come off your platitude for a few minutes and think about people who may be in a more high risk situation than yourself. For those people Tor isn't good enough because their adversary may well be the NSA and the FBI and GCHQ and so on. I am welcome to put forth my efforts into mix networks but not because you say so speaking from a place of belligerence. I am a fan of Tor and I do not go around telling people they can't have any protection. Your delusional caricature of myself is offensive and alarming. Check yourself before you wreck yourself."""
- https://github.com/ipfs/notes/issues/37#issuecomment-687661383

:P~

TL;DR: for the IPFS Tor support issue:

IPFS wants a security audit before merging Tor support. Tor support was volunteer effort - no paid security review possible. Thus - IPFS does not support Tor :/

best regards,