Coronavirus: Thread

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 26 21:28:32 PDT 2020

 On Monday, October 26, 2020, 03:25:41 AM PDT, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

 https://nerdhaspower.weebly.com/ratg13-is-fake.html

Full disclosure:  While I consider myself conversant with many sciences and technologies, 'biology' is probably my area of least knowledge.
I rapidly skimmed this article, but was doubtful when I saw this:
> "RaTG13 looks like a “close cousin” of the Wuhan coronavirus – the two are 96% identical throughout the whole sequence of the viral genome. If RaTG13 is a nature-borne virus, one can comfortably conclude that the Wuhan coronavirus must very likely also come from nature and must share a recent common ancestor with RaTG13."
[end of quote]
My impression is  that if two viruses are ONLY "96% identical"  "throughout the whole sequence of the viral genome", they shouldn't be described as a "close cousin".   Should it be called a "not-so-close cousin"?   I don't know.