FreeBSD moving to Git -- OpenBSD FreeBSD: Why and How

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Fri Oct 23 19:12:21 PDT 2020

Well, good news for OS diversity fans - FreeBSD is transitioning, to Git that is :)

   FreeBSD Can Now Be Built From Linux/macOS Hosts, Transition To Git Continues
   https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=FreeBSD-Q3-2020-Report

      .. - On the Git front, their transitioning from Subversion to Git they
      hope to have a beta repository by the end of October.

      .. - The FreeBSD Ports collection surpassed 40,000 ports/packages.

      .. - As of September it's now possible to build a functioning buildworld
      and buildkernel environment from macOS and Linux hosts. This is done due
      to some CI tools only supporting Linux/macOS and wanting to use them for
      constructing the FreeBSD base system and was sponsored by DARPA.

Apparently even dinosoars can evolve, after all ;)