[At-Risk Shares] Enumeration of Reasons to Leave Github

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 14:30:11 PDT 2020

james,

On 10/14/20, jamesd at echeque.com <jamesd at echeque.com> wrote:
> On 2020-10-14 20:32, Karl wrote:
>> james, We need actual solutions, not solutions that say they are good
>> in a really convincing way.

> GitLab, and Phabricator.

I went a little crazy there, but phabricator seems ok I suppose.  It's
written in php.  google of course lists the github repo first, and
there are no instructions on how to contribute at the github repo: it
just says "secret ancient trials".  I did find the main repo, and I
asked them about the rare features I value at their forum.  They
didn't have them.  This saved me a lot of scouring through the php
source.

I was looking into https://codeberg.org/, which was rated well on my
first post that railed against github.  I don't expect that it has
these features either, though.  We probably need to fork a project
ourselves to add decentralization to project management.

The thread I asked at was
https://discourse.phabricator-community.org/t/question-on-issue-and-wiki-access/4293/4
.  Here's a copy of the content:

gmkarl
Hi,
I was curious about phabricator, is there a way to access the issue or
wiki data via code checkout? Or is it held in a separate database with
only UI access?

avivey
Separate database.
There’s API access (“Conduit”) for most of the tasks and Wiki data.

gmkarl
Thanks so much. Is there any way to run a mirror of an entire
phabricator host? or of individual projects on another host, including
issues?

avivey
You can probably clone the database, and run the mirror in read-only
mode. Why would you want to do that?

gmkarl
I’m thinking of how relevant phabricator is for decentralized
community work, where the person running the server may not keep
running it forever, and people will want to be able to migrate on.
Similar to the model of git itself.

I guess you’d need to provide access to the database to clone it.

avivey
Phabricator is not built for this kind of workflow; it’s much more
oriented towards centralized workflows, with a single source-of-truth.

gmkarl
Thank you. Only a few options are, really.