Building Tor from Source

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 15:11:33 PDT 2020

On 10/12/20, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It looks like your OpenSSL headers don't match what Tor expects during
>>> `configure`.
>
> Giving the type errors during cc .o.

I don't understand you here.  What do you mean?

>>> You can try building and linking against your own SSL, ala:
>>> ./Configure --prefix=/usr no-idea no-rc5 no-mdc2 zlib-dynamic threads
>>> shared
>
>> I found a workaround is to pass my openssl linking path to configure.
>> ```
>> $ LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib64 ./configure
>> I tried --with-openssl-dir=/usr/local but it didn't work
>
> tor may still have some problems picking up include and libs,
> not helped by how some systems lay them out, and problems
> with --option-style vs env var style. Whichever style if needed,
> both should point to the matching locations for whatever installed
> ssl set, ie for a private build:
>
> ssl: ./Configure --prefix=/tmp/foo
> tor: LDFLAGS -L/tmp/foo/lib and CPPFLAGS -I/tmp/foo/include
>
> You can also build static if you want to run in tiny jails/VMs,
> or not be subject to package manager randomness.

Hey, do you guys use pgp or nacl or anything?  I'm learning nacl a
little with stefan (omigod do you think stefan is their legal name?
are they safe using that name on this list?  maybe they protect
anarchists outside the usa?)

-naclbox c72e81da09e333bc8804205bcfcf3bd8821cad61ad862d57114339e5ee00a664