Building Tor from Source

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 14:36:24 PDT 2020

>> It looks like your OpenSSL headers don't match what Tor expects during
>> `configure`.

Giving the type errors during cc .o.

>> You can try building and linking against your own SSL, ala:
>> ./Configure --prefix=/usr no-idea no-rc5 no-mdc2 zlib-dynamic threads shared

> I found a workaround is to pass my openssl linking path to configure.
> ```
> $ LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib64 ./configure
> I tried --with-openssl-dir=/usr/local but it didn't work

tor may still have some problems picking up include and libs,
not helped by how some systems lay them out, and problems
with --option-style vs env var style. Whichever style if needed,
both should point to the matching locations for whatever installed
ssl set, ie for a private build:

ssl: ./Configure --prefix=/tmp/foo
tor: LDFLAGS -L/tmp/foo/lib and CPPFLAGS -I/tmp/foo/include

You can also build static if you want to run in tiny jails/VMs,
or not be subject to package manager randomness.