Building Tor from Source

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 10:36:23 PDT 2020

hey thanks for your response,

On 10/12/20, coderman <coderman at protonmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Karl!
>
> It looks like your OpenSSL headers don't match what Tor expects during
> `configure`.
>
> You can try updating your openssl-devel libraries, (sometimes called libssl,
> libcrypto, ssl-dev, etc. Check accordingly for your distro).
>
> You can try building and linking against your own SSL, ala:
> ./Configure --prefix=/usr no-idea no-rc5 no-mdc2 zlib-dynamic threads
> shared
>
> just remember to pass the right options to configure!
>
> If neither of these work, let me know what OS distribution you're on, and
> what version is returned by `openssl version`, and I'll try to help...

To follow through on important tor work, this is stuff one needs to
share before asking anybody to look at an issue:

```
$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation release 7.7 (Maipo)
$ openssl version
OpenSSL 1.1.1h-dev  xx XXX xxxx
```

I found a workaround is to pass my openssl linking path to configure.
```
$ LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib64 ./configure # I tried
--with-openssl-dir=/usr/local but it didn't work
```
This allows a configure test for openssl to pass that disables the
block of code that failed.  My system gcc appears to use
/usr/local/include for compiling but not use /usr/local/lib64 for
linking.  I'm not aware of a "correct" way to change that, but it's
easy to set LDFLAGS.

This issue is a smaller edgecase of the issue addressed at

People are occasionally still running into this
https://github.com/vergecurrency/VERGE/issues/987

I'm trying to decide if it's worthwhile pursuing the issue.  If it
sends away developers other than me, maybe it would be.

I'll let it finish building.