Building Tor from Source

coderman coderman at protonmail.com
Sun Oct 11 13:25:44 PDT 2020

note that this is only building little-t tor the application, and not a whole bundle, like Tor Browser, which includes the launcher app, and a modified Firefox, and tor.

regarding configure, some other options that might be useful building against your own libs, and on win32:

export CFLAGS="-I/src/$ZLIB_DIR -I/src/$LIBEVENT_DIR -I/src/$OPENSSL_DIR"
./configure --prefix=/src/$TOR_DIR \
            --with-zlib-dir=/src/$ZLIB_DIR \
            --with-libevent-dir=/src/$LIBEVENT_DIR \
            --with-openssl-dir=/src/$OPENSSL_DIR \
            --enable-shared \
            --enable-threads \
            --enable-local-appdata \
            --disable-transparent

adjust accordingly, and ./configure --help for list of opts.

best regards,