From the history of Microsoft (part 1)

Georgi Guninski gguninski at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 04:40:15 PDT 2020

 From my blog: https://j.ludost.net/blog/archives/2020/10/03/from_the_history_of_microsoft_part_1/index.html

Markdown source follows.

>From the history of Microsoft (part 1)

by Georgi Guninski Sat 03 Oct 2020 08:51:30 AM UTC, version 1.0

History is written by the winners, so here we write:

---

* [Microsoft accidentally distributes virus July 28,
2002](https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-accidentally-distributes-virus/)

The software giant's Korean-language version of Visual Studio .Net
carries the virulent Nimda computer virus to Asia.

---

* [Ballmer: 'Linux is a cancer' Sat 2 Jun
2001](https://www.theregister.com/2001/06/02/ballmer_linux_is_a_cancer/)

Contaminates all other software with Hippie GPL rubbish.
Microsoft CEO and incontinent over-stater of facts Steve Ballmer
 said that "Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual
property sense to everything it touches," during a commercial spot
masquerading as a interview with the Chicago Sun-Times on June 1, 2001.

---
* [Halloween documents: August 1998 - March
2004](https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Halloween_documents&oldid=971686391).

The Halloween documents comprise a series of confidential Microsoft
memoranda on potential strategies relating to free software,
open-source software, and to Linux in particular, and a series
of media responses to these memoranda. Both the leaked documents
and the responses were published by Eric S. Raymond in 1998.

---

* [Bill Gates is an android user: 26 Sep
2017](https://www.theregister.com/2017/09/26/bill_gates_android_user/)

**%**RIP Windows Phone, we are not crying much.

---
* [Weird garbled Windows 7 update baffles world – now Microsoft
reveals the truth: 30 Sep
2015](https://www.theregister.com/2015/09/30/windows_update_glitch/)

Its description mostly contained garbled text. Links for more information,
help, and support were filled in with gibberish URLs with ".gov," ".mil,"
and ".edu" domains.

---

* [m$ is linux vendor: 27 Jun
2019](https://www.theregister.com/2019/06/27/microsoft_linux_distro_list/)

2001: Linux is cancer, says Microsoft.

2019: Hey friends, ah, can we join the official linux-distros mailing list, plz?

We tried to [speak up](https://seclists.org/oss-sec/2019/q3/8),
the oss vendor crowd liked m$.

---

* Closed source, source leaked and widely open.
Possibly to fit Microsoft better in the so called open source community,
unknown forces [leaked m$'
sources](https://html.duckduckgo.com/html?q=windows%20source%20leaked).
[MS hacked! Russian mafia swipes WinME source? 27 Oct
2000](https://www.theregister.com/2000/10/27/ms_hacked_russian_mafia_swipes/)