[mess] Getting Off Mobile Phones

coderman coderman at protonmail.com
Tue Nov 17 14:16:06 PST 2020

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Tuesday, November 17, 2020 10:01 PM, Karl <gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:

>> 2) or if you 'must'(...) use a retardphone get a kinda open-source-hardware linux phone. I think there's like 1 option with a decent price.
>
> Any link?
>
> btw I'm kinda handling a psychotic break today/yesterday

hey Karl, remember to breathe - all things are temporary. this too, will pass :)

the problem with linux phones is the basband radios. back in the day, there was OpenMoko. conveniently someone leaked specs for the radio in this hardware, and you could use open source drivers to make calls (!)

you also had open sores luggable "phones" made from SDRs and Linux mini computers.

nowadays you can find better mostly-open devices, and some fully open (baseband) devices, with many of them approaching actually useful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open-source_mobile_phones

to communicate is human. don't let fear of surveillance drive you to isolation, but *do* harden what you can, and use open over closed where possible...