I have one thing to say about...

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 10:50:49 PST 2020

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 1:19 PM coderman <coderman at protonmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

For people to do that, we need an environment of spreading it, no?

Also re-iterating that new people, without the resources of government
surveillance, are recruited to find people of different persuasions
and effect their lives.

> the typical scenario is using only modest protections, getting involved in activism, and then discovering your protections inadequate.

I saw a zine in virginia a couple years ago, about new activists
getting targeted.  The targeters would focus on the areas without
experienced activism; higher return.  (i am not connected with
activism these years)

> once your activism and identity are compromised, it is *very* hard to undo the damage.  you must *start over* with a new digital identity, adhering to operational security always. maybe move town, maybe move countries.

I used to find this easy to do on the internet, but never did it in
face-to-face interactions.  You have to tell people with confidence
you have a different name.

There are two concerns:  if you are targeted, your communities could
become targeted if you're not anonymous.  This prevents their work.
Meanwhile, if you become a critical worker among a targeted community,
you could become targeted.  This ruins your life forever.

> even Barton Gellman had a hard time with this - always keeping his laptop with him like a digital albatross; always protecting passphrase input with blankets and towels; always separating untrustworthy files on isolated machines. and on and on and on and ...
>
> good luck!

How do you feel about spreading the message of not using your legal
name?  I took the opportunity to express this, because nobody else is.