US Protesters Storm Torch Police Buildings, Cops Flee, George Floyd Murdered in Minneapolis, Umbrella Men, Antifa

Douglas Lucas dal at riseup.net
Fri May 29 21:24:54 PDT 2020

Excerpt below of self governance goals from the COVID-19 catalyst
effect, an April 2020 post by Heather Marsh:
https://georgiebc.wordpress.com/2020/04/25/the-catalyst-effect-of-covid-19/

===
It is futile to weed without planting; now is our window to plant the
seeds of a better world. Here are a few of the opportunities we are
being given in various parts of the world and which we can try to
establish and defend in all parts.

The fact that pollution increases COVID-19 deaths has been used to limit
vehicle traffic and reclaim city streets for physical distancing of
bikes and pedestrians. Vehicle traffic has always increased deaths from
pollution, not to mention the astronomical amount of deaths caused by
vehicle accidents; reclaim all city streets and never give them back.

Pollution is so unhealthy every day that the COVID-19 shutdowns of
industry have, in some regions, potentially saved more lives than were
lost to the pandemic. Pollution needs to continue to be recognized and
treated as a global health emergency on par with the pandemic.

Public transit is free in some places to reduce contact with bus
drivers. Don’t ever let it be unfree again. Providing free streets for
vehicles and charging for public transit is taxing the necessities of
the poor for the autogenocidal luxuries of the wealthy.

Food banks are receiving more government funding in places; food stores
ought to be free, filled with healthy, locally produced food. Think of
the carbon footprint reduction, medical care reduction, and general
increase in happiness and competence that would be caused by universal
access to fresh, healthy food and universal ability to grow and share
food locally, perhaps in the laneways and parking lots freed from
vehicle traffic. Why should every child have a right to education but
not food? How is free health care effective if healthy food, air and
water are unattainable?

Evictions have been stopped in some places and those without homes are
suddenly being housed to prevent COVID-19 deaths. Poverty and lack of
housing has always been lethal; eradicate poverty and universalize
access to homes.

Some people have acknowledged that releasing the majority of prisoners
will create no social ill and prisons are inhumane. Some are even
acknowledging the extreme mental distress and increased tendency to
violence caused by social isolation. Use this opportunity to re-examine
the goals and methods of archaic and cruel prison punishments and
construct rehabilitative alternatives which focus on harm prevention.

The Canadian government and others have rejected IP protection for
necessary COVID-19 treatment and supplies; abolish IP while crediting
creators and we will see an explosion in creativity and scientific
advancement. COVID-19 is hardly the only emergency facing the world.

The vital need for knowledge emanating from transparent, two-way,
epistemic communities and facilitated by knowledge bridges is finally
being recognized. Ignorance is lethal. Knowledge needs to be a human
right. Establish protection and support for this right in all areas of
social collaboration, including corporate and governance activity.

Health is, at least for a moment, being prioritized over industry. This
is a sign of the weakening of industrial endo-idealism. This must be
recognized as the moment of sublation it is; do not allow this moment of
victory over industrial endo-idealism to blind us to its potential
replacement by a transcendental mono-empire. Be aware of these attempts,
such as Google and Apple surveillance justified by the pandemic, and
instead, seize the moment to establish exosocial collaboration.

Transparent, collaborative knowledge with two-way epistemic communities
are providing the information on health guidelines. All science needs to
be open and collaborative and unfiltered through political and corporate
interests. Cancer and many other diseases could also be greatly reduced
with the same transparency and prioritizing of health over industry.
We are seeing an example of governance by epistemic communities,
Knowledge regarding the pandemic is global and transparent. Policy
implementation is under networked regional authority which consults and
defers to regional experts informed by that global knowledge. This is
the new method of collaborative governance that I described a decade ago
and wrote in Binding Chaos. For this method to work, knowledge (not
simply speech or information) must be a human right.

Tourism has all but halted. Some states, such as the US, and China, will
attempt to use this to entrench totalitarianism and greatly restrict
ability to move. Let’s instead try to create a new habit of slow travel;
let’s forfeit the social media selfies and work on creating true links
of friendship, mutual aid, trust and discovery when we are guests in
other people’s communities and homes.

Worry about supply chains is suddenly causing questioning of
international forced dependency on trade. This is a window to encourage
collaboration through networked development of strength and support, not
hierarchical development of enforced dependency.

Airbnb and others have taken a huge economic hit. This could be an
opportunity to develop Getgee and networked control of our own service
industries, instead of apps controlled in Silicon Valley.

These and many other opportunities for great social change are being
presented where just a few months ago the same ideas were dismissed as
utopian and unrealistic.
===