Kellyanne Conway: "Twitter cannot suppress voices" -- Re: Censorship: France Says Goodbye to Free Speech

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Wed May 27 19:31:15 PDT 2020

A hint of good news, folks:

   Don Bongino tweeted a quasi-confirmation of this angle for the executive order:

       "Twitter made a HUGE mistake. They have now injected themselves into a US election and decided to become editorialists, rather than a platform. ALL platform protections should be immediately revoked and Twitter should be treated as a publisher. They did this to themselves."
       https://twitter.com/dbongino

See here:

   Trump To Sign Social Media Executive Order On Thursday After 'Fact-Check', Political Bias Exposed
   https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/election-meddling-rule-enforcing-twitter-execs-under-fire-anti-trump-postings

      Update (1830ET): Following up on earlier threats, a White House spokesperson has confirmed that President Trump will sign an executive order on Social Media tomorrow.

      Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany made the remark to reporters aboard Air Force One, traveling with Trump to Washington from Florida.

      There are no details of what the order will contain, however, Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) said today that he is working with Republican members of the House Judiciary Committee to craft legislation that would strip social media giants of their Section 230 legal immunity if they fact check content on their platforms, according to a copy of his podcast which Breitbart News exclusively obtained.
      https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2020/05/27/exclusive-matt-gaetz-drafting-bill-to-drop-big-techs-legal-immunity-over-one-sided-fact-checks/

      Gaetz said:

          A lot of people don’t see that Facebook and Twitter … you see Twitter disadvantaging the president, they enjoy liability protections that are not enjoyed by your local newspaper or your local TV station, or Fox News, or CNN, or MSNBC. They have special benefits under Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act as digital platforms because they’re not creating content for which they should be liable. They’re not making decisions about content, they’re simply saying come one, come all with your content. And as a consequence of that, they’re getting a bunch of protections.

      And as Breitbart concludes, noting that the social media companies have become increasingly biased against conservatives, Gaetz questioned whether social media companies deserve to keep their Section 230 immunity.
      https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2020/05/27/exclusive-matt-gaetz-drafting-bill-to-drop-big-techs-legal-immunity-over-one-sided-fact-checks/

Many have observed for ages that the SM (social media/ sado masochist) corporations want to have their carrier cake and eat it as a content publishing censor too.

This is about to change.

[Angry Trump pointing the finger at Twatter, pic not attached.]

   Update (1025ET): That did not take long. As more and more information is exposed about Twitter's bias, President Trump has tweeted an ominous warning to "Jack" and his crew of social justice warriors...

       Twitter has now shown that everything we have been saying about them (and their other compatriots) is correct. Big action to follow!
           — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 27, 2020
           https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1265649545410744321?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

   ... On Wednesday morning, Trump issued a couple more tweets claiming the federal government will "strongly regulate, or close them down" - referring to social media companies who suppress conservative voices in the name of protecting "the truth" (ie the progressive narrative that Silicon Valley tech giants have promised to perpetuate).

   He also linked his accusations of bias with his opposition to mail-in ballots. ...

       Republicans feel that Social Media Platforms totally silence conservatives voices. We will strongly regulate, or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen. We saw what they attempted to do, and failed, in 2016. We can’t let a more sophisticated version of that....
           — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 27, 2020

       ....happen again. Just like we can’t let large scale Mail-In Ballots take root in our Country. It would be a free for all on cheating, forgery and the theft of Ballots. Whoever cheated the most would win. Likewise, Social Media. Clean up your act, NOW!!!!
           — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 27, 2020
           https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1265601611310739456?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
           https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1265601615261827072?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Now we know why the tech giants are so desperate to coerce the Euros into "my hands are tied" Avio etc legislation, so then it looks like it's NOT the tech giants doing the censorship, since they have created these fig leaves of plausible deniability (statute legislation).

Not good.