[MONEY] "I’ve never seen that before, the inability to trade a U.S. Treasury."

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Fri Mar 13 18:47:23 PDT 2020

Headlines hotting up:

  "The Market Is Broken" - Why Nobody Is Trading Any More
  https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/market-broken-why-nobody-trading-any-more

    .. "We were just trying on Monday to trim a long position in the 30-year Treasury because it had moved so far in our favor, and were unable to get bids from several major dealers. We’ve never seen that before."
    .. "I’ve never seen that before, the inability to trade a U.S. Treasury."
    .. "“We heard there were some issues in off-the-run Treasuries,” Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on CNBC Friday morning. “We are working on that"... but apparently not enough, and the result was the biggest VaR shock of all time as risk parity funds launched a crushing deleveraging which has crippled conventional correlations, and left traders speechless at the bid or offerless Treasury markets.

  Nomura: "The Market Has Only Just Begun Staring Into The Abyss"
  https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/77-sigma-move-nomura-says-market-has-only-just-begun-staring-abyss

    .. The plunge in US equities yesterday (12 March) pushed weekly returns down to 7.7 standard deviations below the norm. In statistical science, the odds of a greater-than seven-sigma event of this kind are astronomical to the point of being comical (about one such event every 160 billion years).

    Setting aside legitimate quibbles over the statistical significance of this, we can say with confidence that we are witnessing a history-making market disaster in real-time.

    Looking back at the performance of the DJIA since 1900, market shocks have exceeded the current rout in magnitude on only three occasions: in 1914 (when a growing financial crisis caused trading in US equities to be halted), in 1929 (the historic market crash that led to the Great Depression), and in 1987 (the Black Monday event).

    US stock market sentiment has also seen a jarringly swift collapse, as equity sentiment has now gone beyond the low point marked during the 2015 renminbi shock. In little more than the blink of an eye, the situation has come to look like the 2008 Lehman Brothers crisis all over again.