War on Crypto: EARN-IT Act to Destroy End-to-End Crypto, Establish Internet Overlords, Kill Free and Private Speech

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 15:53:27 PST 2020

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/31/21116788/earn-it-act-section-230-lindsey-graham-draft-bill-encryption
https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/5/21162983/congress-senate-earn-it-act-lindsey-graham-richard-blumenthal-section-230-encryption-bill-proposed
https://www.cato.org/blog/holding-230-hostage-sen-graham-demands-platforms-earn-it
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20200131/11252343832/lindsey-grahams-sneak-attack-section-230-encryption-backdoor-to-backdoor.shtml
https://www.engadget.com/2020/01/31/earn-it-act-bill-would-limit-encryption/
https://cdt.org/insights/privacy-free-expression-and-security-threatened-by-graham-proposal/
https://cdt.org/press/earn-it-act-threatens-encryption-free-expression-and-prosecutions-of-child-exploitation/
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22505302

"The argument from those in power against encryption is mind-bogglingly
stupid, and I don't know if it is due to an extreme ignorance, or
because of a lust for the power and leverage that mass surveillance
grants a governing entity, I suppose it could be both"

"Sounds more like an end-run on the US Constitution. There isn't
any difference in my mind between the government executing
unconstitutional searches and the government requiring companies
to conduct searches that if conducted by the government would be
unconstitutional. Warrant-less searches by the federal government
are unconstitutional; getting a warrant requires having probable
cause. Without probable cause and a warrant, requiring a company
to conduct searches on behalf of the government is unconstitutional
as well."

"Yes. That's what end-to-end encryption is, a new language that
only those two systems know how to speak. I'll be the asshat marked
troll for saying this too, but sorry kids. Child exploitation is a
scourge on our society, but stopping isn't isn't worth the price
of losing our rights to privacy to talk amongst each other. It's
just not. There. Said it. The ends don't justify the means in this
case. We can't end every freedom we've fought for in the name of
ending child exploitation."

"This is about controlling the rest of us. Criminals, as we and the
government know, are perfectly capable of using strong encryption.
I've seen over and over these weak excuses, these pathetic fig
leaves Congress-critters use. They don't provide them because they
believe them or because the goats will accept them. They provide
them for the purposes of the propaganda, the fodder they and they
owned media put out for the sheep."

"It's the same nonsense you hear over here in Europe when it comes
to surveillance.  No matter how many liberties they take away and
how much they spy on people by putting everyone under the blanket
of suspicioun, it's never seems to be enough. Shit still happens
and even appears to be getting worse if we look at the current
racist extremism in Germany for example. Now there's an entirely
new thing to be afraid of - a large dark figure of far-right extremism
that has somehow gone unnoticed and is growing despite all the
domestic spying that is already done. So what's to be done about
that?  Their answer appears to be always along the same lines: we're
not spying enough. More will fix this.  Hence I'd expect that would
be a dangerous step to satisfy one's curiosity as things are not
likely to change that much except that the erosion of freedoms
progressed one step further to widespread acceptance."

"Personally if it comes down to a choice between weaker security
for everyone or letting bad guys go free (be they someone who wants
to rob the local liquor store and steal a few bucks and a bottle
of Jack Daniels, someone who wants to shoot up the local church
because the church doesn't believe in the right god, someone who
jacks off to photos of 5 year old kids or someone who wants to fly
a plane full of people into the side of a building, I will take the
strong security over catching the bad guys."

"If we ask tech companies to fix ancient societal ills that are now
reflected online with moderation, then we will end up with huge,
democratically-unaccountable organizations controlling our lives
in ways we never intended. And those ills will still exist below
the surface."