The Verge: A major new Intel processor flaw could defeat encryption and DRM protections

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 6 12:22:51 PST 2020

 I am reminded of about 1992, when the 486 Intel microprocessor was discovered to have a rather serious flaw in its arithmetic unit, with potential errors in the 4th and even the 3rd digit.  Intel ended up replacing those CPU's.  I wonder if they will do the same thing this time.This particular article https://www.nytimes.com/1994/11/24/business/company-news-flaw-undermines-accuracy-of-pentium-chips.html
mentions the Pentium and 1994, but I believe that the 486 had a similar problem.  But I am unable to find reference to it.
Also: https://www.cs.earlham.edu/~dusko/cs63/fdiv.html
https://www.computerworld.com/article/2515483/epic-failures-11-infamous-software-bugs.html?page=3

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-17799.html

             Jim Bell

 The Verge: A major new Intel processor flaw could defeat encryption and DRM protections.
https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/6/21167782/intel-processor-flaw-root-of-trust-csme-security-vulnerability