ZFS encrypted HOME, krypt vols, combine /boot with / root, + rando snippets

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Tue Jun 30 09:35:27 PDT 2020

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 11:15:27PM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 01, 2019 at 12:08:34AM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > For those yet to leap into the cool clear waters of ZFS and Luks
> > encrypted sparse ZFS files, or who need to combine /boot with / root
> > if /boot has filled up or is insufficient for needs, the beginnings
> > of some hints:
> >
> > https://github.com/zenaan/quick-fixes-ftfw
> >
> > Create your world,
>

> Revisited ZFS backups in vigour, wrote an easy to follow little tute so I don't bloody forget how to do it next time :/
>
> Update here:
>
> https://github.com/zenaan/quick-fixes-ftfw
>
> and the backups "4 actually simple steps", part way down the direct link here:
>
> https://github.com/zenaan/quick-fixes-ftfw/blob/master/zfs/zfs.txt
>
> When it sings, ZFS is the git of filesystems, only with a leaner, more elegant TUI.  Enjoy,

ZFS tute updated, headers Markdownified, some clarifications, and bonus new tutes:

   Step 5 - Easily create a full additional backup drive.
   Step 6 - Do a full scan (check for errors) of your backup drive(s)/ bak pool
   Step 7 - Easily replace a bad/failing backup drive

(And e.g. ZP_BAK changed to BAK_POOL for easier reading.)

Seriously, with zfs we've never had backups like this - so simple (almost trivial to do), so elegant and synchronized to a point in time (and this is LIVE fs backups!) so no uncertainty or inconsistencies, and all ZFS raid levels just a trivial command (and extra drive or 3) away!

You owe it to yours elf to get this power on board your hot little fingertips - this is so insanely easy you will undoubtedly start imagining that "commercial online backup" enterprise you've got on yer bucket list.

And now you have a tutorial that even has bold headings :D

On fire!

Read it and praise your maker:

   https://github.com/zenaan/quick-fixes-ftfw/blob/master/zfs/zfs.md