Cointelegraph: Experts Split on Practical Implications of Quantum Cryptography

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 09:48:36 PDT 2020

Jim put a lot of energy here into replying to a joke.

Jim appears to be an electronics supergenius.

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020, 4:48 AM jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Albert Einstein called it "spooky action at a distance".  He hated the
> concept of quantum mechanics, saying "God does not play dice with the
> Universe".  Unfortunately, Einstein was quite wrong.
>
> The idea is that pairs of photons can be generated and can go virtually
> any distance, and then a measurement made on one of these photons
> essentially instantaneously determines the equivalent value of the other
> photon.  There is apparently no limit to the distance over which this can
> be done.  A few years ago I read that the apparent velocity of this
> connection is at least 10,000 times c, or the speed of light in a vacuum.
> https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/news-blog/quantum-weirdnes-wins-again-entangl-2008-08-13/#:~:text=(In%202007%2C%20researchers%20transmitted%20entangled,two%20of%20the%20Canary%20Islands.)&text=But%20in%20reality%2C%20no%20experiment,times%20the%20speed%20of%20light.
>
> "The photons were indeed entangled, the group reports in *Nature*
> <https://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v454/n7206/edsumm/e080814-10.html>.
> But in reality, no experiment is perfect, so what they end up with is a
> lower limit on how fast the entanglement could be traveling: 10,000 times
> the speed of light."
>
> I'm not a good person to be explaining this to you:  My degree is in
> chemistry, not physics.
> But read up on Bell's inequalities.  (different Bell!)
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell%27s_theorem
>

> *"Bell's theorem* proves that quantum physics
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_physics> is incompatible with local
> hidden variable theories
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_hidden_variable_theory>. It was
> introduced by physicist John Stewart Bell
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stewart_Bell> in a 1964 paper titled
> "On the Einstein Podolsky Rosen Paradox
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPR_paradox>", referring to a 1935 thought
> experiment <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought_experiment> that Albert
> Einstein <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein>, Boris Podolsky
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Podolsky> and Nathan Rosen
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Rosen> used to argue that quantum
> physics is an "incomplete" theory.[1]
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell%27s_theorem#cite_note-EPR-1>[2]
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell%27s_theorem#cite_note-Bell1964-2> By
> 1935, it was already recognized that the predictions of quantum physics are
> probabilistic <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability>. Einstein,
> Podolsky and Rosen presented a scenario that, in their view, indicated that
> quantum particles, like electrons <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron>
>  and photons <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon>, must carry physical
> properties or attributes not included in quantum theory, and the
> uncertainties in quantum theory's predictions are due to ignorance of these
> [...]
There is proof inside many peoples' electronics.  Proof that a marketing
group would contract development of a frightening virus.  A virus that
responds to peoples' keystrokes and browsing habits, and changes what
people see on their devices.  A virus that alters political behavior en
masse, for profit.