[OT, but curious] bye bye, 5G...

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Sat Jun 27 19:23:15 PDT 2020

On 06/27/2020 05:41 PM, Douglas Lucas wrote:
> See below.
>
> On 2020-06-28 00:00, Mirimir wrote:
>> And the rest of the year could well be worse. As in global financial
>> meltdown. And the rest of the decade could bring the end of our entire
>> civilization. AKA the Jackpot. Or at least, over the inflection point.
>
> The term "the Jackpot" of course comes from William Gibson's 2014
> science fiction novel The Peripheral.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that. But hey, every cpunk knows that, no?

> There's nowadays a subreddit r/collapse where redditors discuss, well,
> "the collapse", that being their term.
>
> I've been wondering for a while - what other terms, from science fiction
> or Internet subcultures or elsewhere - are there for this current thing
> humanity is experiencing? Besides "the Jackpot" and "the collapse", can
> anyone list any additional widely or significantly used ones?

Some sort of collapse is a standard start for dystopian fiction. Decades
ago, it was typically global nuclear war. However, I do recall some SF
where it was toxic chemical pollution. Now it's often global climate
change. That's a huge piece of Gibson 's Jackpot. Along with pandemics
:\ It's also a key aspect of the back story in Watts' _Blindsight_ and
_Echopraxia_. But I don't recall that Watts has a name for it.

> (Not to mention, just, an anthropogenic mass extinction event. Cue
> reactionaries on this list freaking out because they are primed to
> protect dolla dolla bill from evidence of global warming etc.)

Well, the US dollar may soon be toast. Maybe down 20%-30% by 2021, and
might be replaced by a gold-backed greenback within a few years (if the
US can find enough gold, anyway). And/or cryptocurrencies ;)