Any Cypherpunk there ?

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Fri Jun 26 17:27:44 PDT 2020

On 6/26/20 18:19, таракан wrote:
> I am a Mathematician and involved in "industrial" cryptography.
> However, I am interested in the Cypherpunk movement as described by
> the Cypherpunk's manifesto.
>
> I am unsure if this mailing list still relates to the original
> Cypherpunk movement... Obviously it contains many inordinate
> messages containing vulgar terms.

I'm still scratching my head wondering what  flagrant racism,
antisemitism, etc have to do with the cypherpunk movement and/or
securing technology through encryption. Just kidding... they don't,  but
apparently since a certain other list is moderated (or if you'd believe
some people, "censored"), all that stuff just gets posted here. I've
even seen this list cc'd or even threads outright redirected here when
it wouldn't pass muster on the other list. Yes, that list is a
"technical" list, and I'm not saying this list should become a carbon
copy of it, but this is what I'm talking about regarding topic drift.

> I also do believe that a public mailing list would be the last place
> on earth Cypherpunks would choose to meet and discuss but who knows?

I support the original mission of the cypherpunks movement. As stated in
the Wikipedia article:

> A cypherpunk is any activist[1] advocating widespread use of strong
> cryptography and privacy-enhancing technologies as a route to social
> and political change.

There are times and places where one must protect themselves from
security risks wearing blue and carrying badges and guns as much as the
ones wearing black and balaclavas, or whatever disguise garb criminals
wear these days. In a perfect world the cops could be trusted to obey
the same laws they are supposed to be enforcing and living up to the
standard of "<locale>'s finest" as they are often called. We,
unfortunately, do not live in anything close to a perfect world.

The way it's looking though, regularly slinging antisemitic, racist, and
other slurs, and sticking up for the right to spew outright bullshit
where it's not wanted, appear to be someone's idea of de facto
qualifications to be a "true cypherpunk". I refuse to do either; I see
the ideal form of the cypherpunk movement as egalitarian, where those of
all ethnicities and backgrounds are treated equally and given the same
chance to participate in beneficial social and political change. Yes,
this specifically includes Jews and people of color, as well as LGBTQ+
populations and other marginalized groups.

Honestly, if you're going to shut out some people, or use exclusionary
language such as well-recognized slurs that are avoided by people who
use the word "fuck" like they would use salt and pepper on bland food,
then you're no better than the authorities you pretend to hate. United
we stand, divided we fall.

http://www.rantroulette.com
http://www.skqrecordquest.com