Re: Can Law Enforcement Really Recover Files You’ve Deleted?

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Thu Jun 25 05:21:01 PDT 2020

On 6/24/20 01:47, grarpamp wrote:
>>> https://www.howtogeek.com/675784/can-law-enforcement-really-recover-files-you%E2%80%99ve-deleted/
>>
>> Bleachbit, shred (from GNU coreutils), and zerofree
>
> Critical data doesn't have time in situations to fuck around with
> that wiping bullshit. You need a strong crypto filesystem when
> powered down, and when up, a keyboard combo rigged to blacken
> keys and reboot. Then cron/keyboard run whatever wiping tools inside
> that regularly.

If you can spare the extra overhead to run a crypto filesystem, yes, do
that. (On systems as old as my current laptop, it's barely a workable
option, and I did notice better performance when I went back to an
unencrypted filesystem. Then again, my threat model was strictly
protecting against my laptop getting stolen when out and about, less of
a concern now especially with the COVID-19 pandemic limiting the need to
take it out of the hose.) However it still can't hurt to wipe deleted
files and free space as a matter of routine privacy protection.

However, do be aware of things like encrypted filesystems complicating
data recovery in the event of software/hardware failure. Sure, maybe the
cops can't get your data, but it can bite you in the ass when Shit
Happens(tm) and as a result *you* can't get your data either.

http://www.rantroulette.com
http://www.skqrecordquest.com