Personal Black Box?

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 21 23:17:28 PDT 2020

 Jim Bell's comments inline:
    On Sunday, June 21, 2020, 12:51:29 AM PDT, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

 >> wonderful quality, but the data-storage and data-transmission systems need
>> to be kept proportionally larger.

>Rental video tapes were acceptable quality too, under 200k pixels.
Today 4K (8.3M pix) at 10-bit per pixel color does not mean people
need it. Maybe people trade color for good optic resolution or
bandwidth reduction, etc. At least where such knobs can be made.
I'm not advocating using (solely) the highest resolutions, but having noticed that the hardware exists (4K 360-degree, stereoscopic cameras) I want to see if the rest of the components and data transmission rates can support that hardware.  So far, it appears that data transfer rate will do this quite well.
My initial idea for a "personal black box", about 2 years ago, merely anticipated a smartphone, saving enough data over cell data to ensure that it survives in case of an attack.  The Vuze+ is on the other extreme in terms of video performance.  There are probably a number of middle-grounds:  A camera in front, and behind.

>In a situation, you don't get a timeout to swapout full cards,
find better wifi hotspot peers, etc.
That's true.  I hope that the camera hardware can be set, by software, to have a variable resolution.  Maybe HD resolution (rather than 4K), for example.  I think there are SD-cards up to 1 terabytes.   (Many of which, on Amazon, are fake...)

>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi

>WiFi has some specs on the tin, but speeds in real
deployed practice is going to be less.

Yes, I know that the bands are going to be shared among all those present.  But there might not be much competition for WiFi during a demonstration, compared to the competition for 3G, 4G, or 5G data.    Are there apps/utilities which can measure useage/non-useage of WiFi at any given location?

>Another example of available camera modules
are inside security cameras... alibaba, ebay...
many have numerous embedded compression levels,
some TLS, ONVIF standard, ethernet power, WiFi/Cellular etc.
All from China OEMs that can custom whatever people
want for the right price. Backdoors free with all ClosedSource.

resolutions could be adjusted dynamically, I suppose.  My understanding is that a 4K video can be compressed to 'about' 3 gigabytes/hour of data, but that doesn't tell us how much CPU time is needed to do that in real-time.
I am doing a google search for:   '4k video compression real-time' but I haven't read more than a few results yet.
One result:  https://www.ntt-review.jp/archive/ntttechnical.php?contents=ntr201807sr2.html    A system which was new in 2015.  And:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Video_Coding

>>> mutual-data-backups:  Cameraman A B

>>Two person teams are fairly common in the journo/activism space.

>Any project would want to interview some wide ranges
of potential customers to determine / propose what
might actually be useful in a new product.
There will be plenty of variability when the various kinds of camera systems are considered.

              Jim Bell