Whether To Design Open Source Public Records Equipment

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 11:59:57 PDT 2020

What you say lands to me as changing my words to similar ones a little.

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020, 2:05 PM Punk-Stasi 2.0 <punks at tfwno.gf> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 05:43:33 -0400
> Karl <gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Some of us want to sousveil the authorities,
>
>         well, surveill the authorities all you want. Put a camera in every
> cop's bathroom...

I mean recording their public presence for accountability as public
figures, not violating their pricacy.  Sorry for the obscure "sousveil"
word.  Got it from wikipedia long ago.

>         But that's very different from 'wearing' some device that records
> everything around you. That is not surveilling the authorities but spying
> on everybody within the reach of your cameras.

It sounds like this is dangerous and should be discussed before actually
producing.  Are you able to relate around making something that could do
that respectful of others?  Maybe we could even influence present-day cell
phones and digital cameras somehow.

It is primarily for when your life is imminently threatened, which is
neither all the time nor everywhere and could theoretically be paired with
a call to 911.

        As a side note of sorts, the argument (just an assertion actually)
> that it's ok to record people on 'public property' is exactly govcorp's
> 'argument' eh?

The difference is that I like consensus, so it is only okay if
_absolutely_everybody_visible_ by it says that it is okay.  I was trying to
mention providing it when it is specifically requested by a community.

It sounds like there's value around the device that prevents the operation
of nearby cameras too.