Whether To Design Open Source Public Records Equipment

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 02:43:33 PDT 2020

I sent this reply personally to Punk but am returning the thread to the
list per Zenaan's request elsewhere.  Please express a differing opinion
from Zenaan's if you have one.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020, 10:18 PM Punk-Stasi 2.0 <punks at tfwno.gf> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 20:34:48 -0400
> Karl <gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > But why are you dissing Jim's project when there are already surveillance
> > cameras everywhere, and cops are beating up journalists as we email?
>
>         because his 'project' will change nothing and it's just propaganda
> to make 'technology' look good. You can record cops with already existing
> retardphones. It changes nothing.

Have you tried this?  The information is usually lost.  The cop orders you
to erase it, or even destroys the phone; I emailed myself some recordings
once and they disappeared from my email.  The current activism appears to
be working better because people throughout american culture are resisting
those things, and there are too many events for authorities to handle.

        and Jim has been spamming the list with his techno bullshit

It sounds like you're really frustrated and discouraged around the presence
of technological business support, without overt acknowledgement and
consideration of all the harm it causes.  I've been handling that too, and
realizing others hold it is cause for me to think on it.

Cecilia told me Jim has been through years of prison for resisting abuse of
power by authorities.  Some of us want to sousveil the authorities, and we
are likely to be misled in some ways because those authorities have been
surveiling and influencing us for years.  In such a situation those
confining you can try to produce conflict between you and others, to
prevent collaboration or harm you.  It is hard to learn how we might be
wrong when so heavily criticized.

It seems dangerous to me to associate our opinions of what people did with
the people who did those things.  Such a habit could easily disrupt a
community exposed to false rumors.