Preventing Nonconsensual Surveillance By Others

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 07:15:25 PDT 2020

Here's the article that cites it from 2016, on designing a mobile personal
device to defend against video surveillance.

https://digitalworks.union.edu/theses/206/

Detection and Depletion of Digital Cameras: An Exploration into Protecting
Personal Privacy in the Modern World

As all forms of technology become more integrated into our daily lives,
personal privacy has become a major concern. Everyday devices, such as
mobile phones, have surveillance capabilities simply by having a digital
camera as part of the device. And while privacy and secrecy seem to go hand
in hand, it is not always the case that one does not care about privacy
because they have nothing to hide. For example, everything from
unflattering photographs to being unknowingly and perhaps criminally
surveilled, are ample reasons to desire some means of combatting the not so
candid presence of digital cameras in everyday life. There is also the more
casual argument of having control over one's public image. For these
reasons, we propose a wearable device that offers personal privacy
protection. This device should be able to detect for cameras in an area,
and then disrupt the photographer's ability to capture their photo. In this
project, we explored the implications of creating such a device, and
evaluate which approaches to detection and disruption would be possible for
such a device.