"We don't control our lives" - smartphones - tinkerphones - debian on smartphones

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Fri Jul 31 02:05:25 PDT 2020

On 7/29/20 11:12, this fell into my inbox by way of the cypherpunks list:
> The average Android and iOS Apple phone, is a strict walled garden
> into which only authorised software may be installed.

iOS, sans jailbreaking, yes. Every Android phone I have seen, however,
will allow you to install from other sources (e.g. F-Droid) after
enabling the appropriate option.

> So Debian on mobile phones? It's possible.

That's basically what Purism's Librem 5 is, as PureOS is a Debian fork.
This is the phone I hope to be able to order by the end of the year
(meaning I'd likely receive it sometime in spring/summer 2021).

http://www.rantroulette.com
http://www.skqrecordquest.com