tmpfs is not a ramdisk (was: delimiters with more than one character? ...)

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Fri Jul 17 22:31:06 PDT 2020

On 7/18/20 00:18, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> If you're current RAM+swap is say 8GiB+8GiB, one alternative is to
> consider upgrading RAM to 16GiB and ditching swap entirely.  That
> could save your lazy butt from having to learn how to encrypt swap -
> and just so you know I do in fact want you to feel good about your
> choice, it will also mean a faster overall user experience ;D

Some of us out here are stuck on older systems with a maximum of 8GiB of
RAM. Others may be using systems like the Raspberry Pi that can't be
upgraded (that I am aware) and that typically max out at 4GiB or 8GiB.

Sure, it will be a bit faster having 16GiB of RAM and no swap than 8GiB
RAM + 8GiB swap if that is an option. However, modern operating systems
are designed to swap out out certain things to make the best use of all
available RAM and so you will technically not get the full benefit of a
RAM upgrade going this route. It may be, however, that your usage
patterns only max out 16GiB of virtual memory usage either way, in which
case it may not matter as much.

http://www.rantroulette.com
http://www.skqrecordquest.com