www.Tesmanian.com: FCC approves the operation of 'Starlink Router' for SpaceX's internet

таракан cryptoanalyzers at protonmail.com
Fri Jul 17 14:34:13 PDT 2020

I still think that if - for example - cypherpunks (or others) would like independent access to internet, they would need to use a technology that they understand from A to Z and more important that they can manufacture themselves.

Using internet by satellite would require the ability to manufacture satellites - which is not simple but doable and the ability to launch them in low orbit - which, with the technology of mini-launcher is also doable, while requiring a significant budget. Ground stations can also be manufactured... same story, hard to produce by small groups of people.

On the contrary Short-Waves based data communication do not require complicated digital processing and a ground station can be produced with relatively little equipment.
Ground stations can be mobile enough not to stay at same place, thus avoiding detection.

I am unsure anyway we would really need satellites to bring internet to the world, since internet is already everywhere, in my opinion, we may need such satellites for interplanetary communications.

We're in 2020, the world space fleet is populated with ... a few Soyuz based solely on USSR technology (not bad but clearly slightly limited by now) and one or two (not sure how much) Space-X Dragon... (+ all the secondary stuff: space probes,... )

As for spaceships able of interplanetary travel, the fleet is ... 0

so... all that Starlink story is a marketing stunt like always.