in app (Java) crypt "file store"/ media cache ?

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Mon Jul 6 06:22:54 PDT 2020

On Mon, Jul 06, 2020 at 12:38:52PM +0000, таракан wrote:
> The very idea of cache is unsecure by nature... it's almost always functionally unnecessary unless we're talking of things like memoization etc...  but since you mention  a "media" app, I guess that's a cache for pictures, videos etc...
>
> Good point is: if a media app wants to really focus on security should it use a caching system ?

Let's say you're doing a discussion forum, and you want to allow user's to upload their own avatars.  Other user's viewing my posts, will normally want my avatar to show.

Why would an app _not_ cache avatars?

Similarly, if a meme image is popular and get's reposted in multiple separate discussion threads, the same question: why would the app re-download that image every time it has to display that image, or even after shutting down and restarting the app or device?  Surely failing to cache such things is a needless deficiency which would be called a bug by most user's?

(Modulo cache aging, purging etc.)