recommendation for offline Markdown renderer (for GitHub .md)?

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Jul 5 14:51:10 PDT 2020

On 2020-07-05 22:13, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> Anyone got a strong recommendation for an offline Markdown renderer which can at least do a passable job rendering GitHub's .md style?
>
> grip uses GitHub API, contacts the server on every render, seems to not even cache CSS files...
>
> Also!:
>
> GitHub supports inlining section files (very useful for reducing file size/ dividing one large file) with this:
>
> <file name="section_2.md">
>
> So having that work with an offline renderer would be gold™...

I use Visual Studio Code with the markdown addon.

But precisely because most people cannot read *.md files off line, and
they tend to get distributed as part of the project, hence in practice
read offline, I write in html.

It is less readable than markdown, but more universal, and after you get
used to it, it is OK.

Trouble is that you frequently make errors in html, so you need tidy.  I
have a batch file that runs tidy on all my offline html files to check
for html5 compliance.  Any time I edit an html file, there is usually an
error - it is harder to write correct markup than correct markdown.