ZFS encrypted HOME, krypt vols, combine /boot with / root, + rando snippets

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Wed Jul 1 07:57:16 PDT 2020

On Wed, Jul 01, 2020 at 02:35:27AM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 11:15:27PM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 01, 2019 at 12:08:34AM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > > For those yet to leap into the cool clear waters of ZFS and Luks
> > > encrypted sparse ZFS files, or who need to combine /boot with / root
> > > if /boot has filled up or is insufficient for needs, the beginnings
> > > of some hints:
> > >
> > > https://github.com/zenaan/quick-fixes-ftfw
> > >
> > > Create your world,
> >

> > Revisited ZFS backups in vigour, wrote an easy to follow little tute so I don't bloody forget how to do it next time :/
> >
> > Update here:
> >
> > https://github.com/zenaan/quick-fixes-ftfw
> >
> > and the backups "4 actually simple steps", part way down the direct link here:
> >
> > https://github.com/zenaan/quick-fixes-ftfw/blob/master/zfs/zfs.txt
> >
> > When it sings, ZFS is the git of filesystems, only with a leaner, more elegant TUI.  Enjoy,
>

> ZFS tute updated, headers Markdownified, some clarifications, and bonus new tutes:
>
>    Step 5 - Easily create a full additional backup drive.
>    Step 6 - Do a full scan (check for errors) of your backup drive(s)/ bak pool
>    Step 7 - Easily replace a bad/failing backup drive
>
> (And e.g. ZP_BAK changed to BAK_POOL for easier reading.)
>
> Seriously, with zfs we've never had backups like this - so simple (almost trivial to do), so elegant and synchronized to a point in time (and this is LIVE fs backups!) so no uncertainty or inconsistencies, and all ZFS raid levels just a trivial command (and extra drive or 3) away!
>
> You owe it to yours elf to get this power on board your hot little fingertips - this is so insanely easy you will undoubtedly start imagining that "commercial online backup" enterprise you've got on yer bucket list.
>
> And now you have a tutorial that even has bold headings :D
>
> On fire!
>
> Read it and praise your maker:
>
>    https://github.com/zenaan/quick-fixes-ftfw/blob/master/zfs/zfs.md

About finished now; added:
 - TOC
 - advanced tute 2: Free up disk space, "remove" low prio data pool filesystem
 - "first steps" tute 0: Tutorial 0: Create a ZFS data partition

Tute 2 is tested as written this evening, so mostly bug free :)

In the middle of a resilver arising from doing "Easily create a full additional backup drive".  Double smile ..

Tute 1, steps 6 and 7 not personally tested, yet - git fetch in a month or so and that should catch any possible small updates.

Tutorial 0: Create a ZFS data partition
    Step 0 - Locate your data partition or disk drive
    Step 1 - Create your data pool
    Step 2 - Create zfs filesystems
    Step 3 - Create a point in time zfs snapshot

Tutorial 1: ZFS Backups - send/recv
    Step 0 - Create at least 1 snapshot of source pool/filesystem to backup
    Step 1 - Init new (e.g. USB) 'backups' disk/drive
    Step 2 - Create initial "full" source pool backup
    Step 3 - Export and unplug backup drive(s)
    Step 4 - Do subsequent "incremental" zfs zpool backup
    Step 5 - Easily create a full additional backup drive
    Step 6 - Do a full scan (check for errors) of your backup drive(s)
    Step 7 - Easily replace a bad/failing backup drive

Tutorial 2: Free up disk space, "remove" low prio data pool filesystem
    Step 0 - Import backup pool, using alternate root
    Step 1 - Clone the low priority filesystem
    Step 2 - Delete low prio filesystem from primary pool

These are the tutes I wanted for zfs. Now they exist.