WIRED: One Small Fix Would Curb Stingray Surveillance

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Tue Jan 28 23:54:37 PST 2020

On 1/28/20 21:18, Razer wrote:
> Federal lawz require a cellphone without service to be able to dial 911
> for some period of time after service is discontinued. After some period
> of time the battery is dead and no, the Stingray won't turn it on.

It might be any phone without a working SIM card (or its CDMA
equivalent); this is one reason that organizations that help domestic
violence victims ask for old phones. I have had phones which have never
had a working SIM card in them at all be able to make an emergency call
(at least according to the display; I haven't tested this).

http://www.rantroulette.com
http://www.skqrecordquest.com