This is the Opportunity-cost of NOT implementing my AP idea

Greg Newby gbnewby at pglaf.org
Mon Jan 13 08:48:54 PST 2020

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 08:41:06AM -0800, Razer wrote:

> On 1/13/20 1:12 AM, Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> > On 1/12/20 20:15, Greg Newby wrote:
> >> You're not unsubscribed, otherwise you would not have been able to post this message.
> > When was the change made to only allow subscribers to post?
> >

> WTF kind of listserv allows posts from non-subscribers? Never heard of
> any such thing, and the only reason I can see for that arrangment is to
> destroy the usability of a list and clog it's servers with spam instead
> of posts on the topic(s) relevant to the list.
>
> Rr

The cypherpunks list has only allowed subscribers to post since it moved to Mailman (i.e., years ago). When non-subscribers try to post, they get an automated response.

At least some of the Cypherpunks Distributed Remailers (CDRs) and predecessor lists allowed anyone to post, as evidenced by the massive quantities of spam in the cypherpunks-legacy archive (now at https://lists.cpunks.org).

My recollection (from later years of CDRs, when I joined) was that some CDRs restricted to subscribers. But some did not. And all CDRs would allow all traffic from all other CDRs (more or less...).
  - Greg